Telehealth is a one-on-one physiotherapy session in the comfort and privacy of your own home. It is a safe and secure way to continue your physiotherapy while practicing social distancing. All you require is an internet connection and a device with a camera and microphone. (ie: Tablet, cell phone, Laptop or desktop computer). This will enable a virtual session between you and your therapist.
Did you know that ICBC, WorkSafe, RCMP/ Medavie and many extended health care providers (Sunlife, Great West Life, Blue Cross and others) cover telehealth? If you are wondering if your plan covers telehealth you will need to check with your insurance provider.
What Telehealth offers:
- Acute injuries – The therapist can assess and give you advice on what your next steps should be. They can advise on self care, exercises, and whether you need to see your family doctor or require further diagnostic imaging (i.e. x-ray or scan)
- Musculoskeletal injuries – The therapist can assess and give you advice on self mobilization techniques to further your healing and specific exercises will be given. The therapist can answer any questions that you might have and if they don’t know the answer, they will find it.
- Pre-Natal / Post- Natal – The therapist can determine the problem, give you ideas on self care tips, exercises and positioning / postures that would help improve your comfort.
- Stress/ Tension headaches – The therapist can give you advice on self care, relaxation techniques and online resources to help you.
- Concussions – The therapist can give you advice on self care, activities to avoid and relaxation techniques. They can also guide you to appropriate online resources.
- Chronic Pain – The therapist can give you advice on self care, education on how to manage the pain and offer online resources to help you.
- Home Workspace – Many of us are now working from home so the therapist can help you set up your workspace that is ergonomically correct and give you exercises to help you maintain your body while working at home.
- Answer questions – Do you have any questions about anything you have been researching online? Your therapist can answer those questions for you
How this happens:
You can contact the clinic by phone (250-765-2665) or email (email@example.com) to set up a telehealth appointment. You will receive an email from the clinic with your appointment information. The email will also have an internet link to your session. At your appointment time you click the link in the email and your session will start up. Our Telehealth program (Embodia) uses Zoom for Healthcare which is a fully encrypted and secure platform.
You will then be linked to your therapist for a private one-on-one live meeting. It will be very similar to a regular physiotherapy session but of course there will be no hands-on treatment. Your therapist may ask you to perform certain movements to aid them in your assessment. They will then be able to offer you the appropriate treatment through education, exercises, self care tips, and navigating the overwhelming internet.